reflections of our life on the farm and beyond

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Papertrey Ink Stamp-a-faire 2015

I love Stamp-a-faire, but I cannot believe that for the past three years that I have been participating, I ALWAYS have something on over the weekend that it is held.  Sheesh.  However, I have cranked out a few cards to meet some of the challenges and I have enjoyed doing them.  I have added my new found love of slapping watercolour inks and paints onto a couple of them too.  They have all come up a treat (so far!).


CHALLENGE 1: Bridal

This challenge was all about making a WHITE card.....white everything with the exception of a neutral colour for the sentiment.  This card came together very easily using PTI's Tranquility Triology stamp set and SU's Dotty Angles stamp set.  They both complimented each other amazingly well for different companies.  I simply heat embossed the images in white embossing powder and then stamped the sentiment in SU's new Tip Top Taupe ink

CHALLENGE 2: Patterns

In the SAF kit that I pre-purchased, a number of items were included.  One that related to this challenge was a number of "patterns" (also known in craft circles as sketches).  The pattern that I used was Dawn McVey's pattern #4.  I followed the pattern reasonably closely, but I also added interest to my card by breaking out some new Tim Holtz distress inks.  The images and sentiment come from PTI's Make-It_Market Kit Beautiful Brushstrokes.

CHALLENGE 3: Threads

A difficult one to photograph, only because the thread that I used is so delightfully fine.  This challenge was about using threads or twine on our card.  I used SU's new Gold Metallic Thread (contact me to buy!!).  This technique of using a "nest" of twine or thread on cards has really come into itself over the past 12 months or so and shows no hint of slowing down!  So embrace it!  This card uses PTI's die and stamp set.

ETA:  Hang on......made another for this challenge.  My sewing machine stuffed up first time!
This card uses some SU cardstock and patterned paper.  The stamps (flower and sentiment) is PTI's and the machine stitching is all mine!!!!  I really love sewing on cards.  I recently acquired a Semco sewing machine for quite cheap, however the real benefit of it, is that it is light, portable and SMALL.  No longer do I have to feel pressured to have a range of projects needed machine stitching ready to go in order for me to pull out the big machine.  Plus, I never quite know when a card just might require that extra flair!!

CHALLENGE 4: Accessories

Stay tuned....catching up on this one!

CHALLENGE 5: Mix and Match
 Possibly the funnest one that I have done so far.  As I am becoming more experienced in card making and scrapbooking, I find myself wanting to step out of the norm and utilise different mediums to what I have been using to date.  I recently purchased myself a set of Van Gogh Watercolour pans (not cheap!!!) and I have been experimenting with them.  This challenge provided me with the perfect opportunity for more play time with them.  I am NOT a trained artist (in that I have received no formal education in art), however, I hope that over the years, I have developed an "eye" for colour and composition.

This challenge was about incorporating colour and design into a card.  Betsy Veldman is a pro at combining a number of different patterned papers one the one project and having them all look damn good.  Dawn McVey showed how to use colours together - and challenged us to use colours that we would normally shy away from.  I didn't do this for this card (I quite like blues), but it is something to practise.

The birthday sentiment is a PTI die that I cut 5 times - 4 in white and 1 in Real Red.  I stuck them all together and then applied Crystal Effects to it to give a wonderful glossy look.  The Washi Tape I used is a combination of current and retired tapes from SU (again, you want some, contact me!) as is the black and white striped paper (Farmers Market, through SU).

 CHALLENGE 6: Unconventional Materials

Catching up on this one too!

CHALLENGE 7: Pins and Needles
 My ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE card so far.  LOVE IT SO MUCH!!!!!!  In l;last years SAF, we were required to use felt.  i don't think I actually got around to using it, because I would have remembered to joy of having such a great embellishment - and I would have been using felt way more!  This stamp set was the 2015 SAF stamp set (now unavailable for purchase) and contains the image above, plus a heap of little floral accents along with a number of quotes from fashionistas past and present.

This challenge was about using sewing or pins on our cards.  In our SAF kit, we were provided with some gorgeous stick pins; 2 of which I have used on this card (look at the flower).  I used a retired SU die (Blossom Party) to cut the flowers out of felt, but you can use ANY flower dies you have.  So much interest on this card.....it is hard to go past it.  I wonder who of my friends/family will deserve getting this beauty!!!!!

CHALLENGE 8: Runway Inspiration
Not done yet.......

Challenge 9: Make it WORK!
Still to come!!!!






2 comments:

lainey said...

Congrats on your win! I'm getting lots of ideas from all the bridal cards.

Lynne said...

Love all of your cards. Congratulations on your win!